Sunday, March 8, 2009

NASCAR and Nursing


I'm glad Natalie has done some posts for our blog. I was gone with Neil to NASCAR in Vegas, and then Neil had shoulder surgery Friday. I'm glad all I had was a slight tendon tear--I seem to be healing, just can't lift weight with left arm.

Dr. Huntsman spent over two hours on Neil--fixed a torn labrum, reattached a rotator cuff, and tried to repair unattached cartilage. Neil has a big blue sling and then a band around it. He is not supposed to move arm. We cut a shirt down the front and put it on him to eliminate abrasion. I used some fabric tape to close the front--there our times I need some of Annette's and Sandy's sewing skills. I also had to work to figure out how to get the top off his new-fangled ice pack. Today has been a better day--less pain than yesterday.

We had a good trip to Vegas. I wrote an article for The River City Weekly about it. I'm pasting it here--I will see if Natalie will do a slide show of pictures later--she is so much better with that than me--I recruited a college student at the hotel to help send my pictures to my editor--told him I'd trade his expertise for free editing of a paper of his choice--nice kid, reminded me of Tyson.

Article: River City Weekly

“Idaho Falls NASCAR Weekend”

Idaho Falls is a wonderful place to live, but by the end of February many of us are tired of the cold weather. The white, pristine snow of December is now slushy and gray, and people start dreaming of warmer days.

The Las Vegas NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Racing) Nationwide and Sprint races come at the perfect time to encourage migration south. Many from Idaho Falls book flights with Allegiant Air, who had a booming weekend for the end of February.

Others pack up cars that sport numbers representing their loyal following—perhaps a #48 for last year’s Sprint Cup series champion—Jimmie Johnson, driver of a Lowe’s Chevrolet for Hendrick Motorsports, or a #17 for Matt Kenseth, who drives a DeWalt Ford for Roush Fenway Racing and won the first two 2009 races at Daytona and California.

People enjoy NASCAR for a variety of reasons. My husband Neil loves the noise and all the action of the race. His brother Wayne and sister-in-law Marcia, loyal Jeff Gordon (#24) fans, also like the roar of the engines. I love medieval history; the egos and intense competition of NASCAR remind me of medieval jousting tournaments. Teams definitely have colors, and you only have to watch one race to realize the value placed on sponsorship. Decals emblazon cars and jackets; a driver being interviewed is usually always drinking a sponsor’s beverage.

Although there is a stereotype of a typical NASCAR fan, a wide variety of individuals from Idaho Falls enjoy this type of racing. I interviewed Mindy Jones from Cherz Salon. She said a group of 10 from the salon were headed to the race. She initially bought tickets to her first Vegas race in 2003 as a Christmas surprise for her husband. Even though her husband is a Dale Earnhardt Jr. fan, she cheered for Matt Kenseth to win, and as if just for her, he did. She remains a loyal fan.

I also interviewed De Haley from Idaho Falls; anyone who knows her quickly learns that she loves all aspects of NASCAR. She started going to the Las Vegas race in 1998 when her son Nick bought her a ticket as a present. She has not missed a year since.

She says, “NASCAR people are honest and concerned for others.” For years De has been collecting autographs of drivers on a special NASCAR flag. She takes a week vacation in Las Vegas to have time to find, meet, and talk with drivers.

Both races this year were exciting to watch. During the Nationwide race there were so many wrecks, a new record was set for the fewest number of cars finishing the race. Greg Biffle (#16) was able to survive to emerge as the victor of the Sam’s Town 300 Race.

This year on qualifying day for the Sprint Cup race, the announcers joked about the Busch brothers “ambushing” the field. Kyle had the fastest speed at 185.995 and his brother Kurt was close behind at 185.707; Kyle had to change an engine though, so he started at the end of the field in the Sprint race.

In spite of this, he emerged victorious for his first win of the season in the Cup race. Obviously, it was a sweet hometown win for Kyle (#18), driver of a Joe Gibbs Toyota, who even kissed the start/finish line after the race.

This week Idaho Falls NASCAR fans reluctantly return from Vegas warmth to the cold, but many have started planning next year’s trip. I know I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment